2018/09 - Annual Convention (Seattle)Regular price $0.00
APRIL 18 - 20, 2018
(Saturday, April 21th Optional Day)
IICRC Continuing Education: 6 credit hours
5:00-7:00pm Welcome Cocktail Reception, Lobby Lounge
April 19th, Thursday
(Associate Members will have booths outside the door!!)
8:30am Continental Breakfast - ( Meet and Greet your Associate members ), Grand Pacific Ballroom D
9:00am Annual Board Meeting - Randy Hyde, ARCS President, Grand Pacific Ballroom D
9:30am Moving a 40+ year old wash plant, Thea Sands of Emmanuels Rug Cleaning
10:00am Coffee Break
10:15am Eminent Domaine and A Wash Plant- Robert Mann of Robert Man Oriental Rugs
11:00am Risk Assessment -Developing a Best In Class Safety Program - Erin Mutert of JW Terrill
1:00pm Dealing with Negative Reviews - Tim Miller of Local Search Essentials
1:45pm Front Office - Jennifer Colaco of Oriental Rug Cleaning Co.
2:45 pm Color Marketing Group - Alicia D Keshinshian of Color Marketing Group.
3:30pm When Fire Strikes, Lessons Learned Insurance - Peter Masi or Master Cleaners.
4:00pm Closing Remarks and Adjournment
4:30pm Board of Directors Meeting (Board members only)
Dinner on your own
April 20th, Friday – Plant Tours
8:30am Catch the Motor Coach to Emanuel's Rug Cleaning
9:00am Tour Emanuel's Rug Cleaning - Hosted by Thea Sands
11:30am Catch Motor Coach to Pyramid Ale House
1:30 pm Catch Motor Coach to DA Burns Rug Cleaning
2:00pm Tour DA Burns Rug Cleaning - Hosted by Bryan O'haleck
5:30pm Catch Motor Coach to the hotel
Dinner on your own
Please note the time changes below
April 21st, Saturday –Private Tour of the Chihuly Garden and Glass (Optional Day!)
9:30am Meet in lobby - walk over to the Gardens together
10am Tour of the Chihuli Garden and Glass
11am Conference Ends...
You are on your own. Enjoy Seattle!
-Erin Mutert CSP is responsible for providing safety consulting services
-Thea Sands moving a from a 40+ year old location
-Robert Mann A wash plant and eminent domain
-Reagan Masi- Fire at his plant - A wash plant when disaster strikes
-JW Carol- Risk Assessment and Wash Plant Safety
-CMG Color Marketing group- Market trends and forecasting for designs
305 Harrison Street, Seattle, WA 98109-4623
Tour is approximately one hour and includes the Galleries, Glasshouse, and Garden
7 minute taxi ride not included or 20 minute walk
Tour 4/20, 9-11:30
- Emmanuel's Rug and Upholstery Cleaners was founded in 1907 by John Manoug Emmanuel, an Armenian immigrant from Turkey.
- For four generations, Emmanuel's has based their business on a tradition of service and quality while keeping current on the most modern industry developments.
- The company has had some distinguished clients, including the Seattle Sonics, who had their 1977-78 Western Conference Champions banner cleaned, and Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates, who had a dining room rug altered.
4/19- Thea Sands- Moving a 40+ year old wash plant
- President of Emmanuel’s Rug and Upholstery Cleaners, and a fourth-generation expert in cleaning, repair, and restoration
- Sand was asked to come back in 2002 -- after being away from the business for more than two decades -- to help run things after her mother became ill.
Tour 4/20- 2:30-5:30pm
- How It All Began- In 1930 a mist the Great Depression, David A. Burns, Sr., moved his family to Seattle to find new employment opportunities. The Burns family’s interest in professional cleaning came purely by accident. While managing a Seattle apartment building, a pail of wall cleaning solution was spilled on a wool area rug by Mr. and Mrs. Burns, Sr. They quickly absorbed as much of the soapy spill as they could. A next day inspection of the rug revealed a clean spot where the cleaning solution had been spilled. Both Dave Sr. and Dave Jr., who was employed as a custodian in a downtown office building, decided to apply this experience on a full-time business basis. As their rug cleaning expertise and capabilities grew, D. A. Burns & Sons tackled Oriental rugs and added carpet repair and upholstery cleaning to their growing scope of services. Recognizing the need for carpet edge finishing treatments, the Burns family responded by offering carpet binding, serging and fringing services. With the advent of wall-to-wall carpeting, the firm followed with the on-location cleaning of installed carpet
- As the greater Seattle area has grown, D. A. Burns has grown with it. To meet the challenges of increased traffic congestion, two income families, and higher service expectations on the part of the consumer, D. A. Burns opened a satellite office in suburban Bellevue in 1988. The satellite strategy is to make their in-plant cleaning services more accessible with a second location and offer savings to their customers through their “cash & carry” pricing program.
Robert Mann-a wash plant and eminent domain
- In February of 1978, I began a career in the rug business as an apprentice restorer working for an Iranian man named Hamid Sharifzadeh. I had travelled extensively in rug producing countries and somehow it all made sense.
- Working mostly for rug stores and dealers we did basic repairs. When rugs were too dirty to repair as is, we would clean them in the bath tub or out in the driveway. It was an exciting time.
- Based in Boulder, the business grew slowly. In January 1982 I opened a wash plant and restoration studio in a shop front at 32nd Avenue and Lowell in North Denver. I hired two employees.
- In 1984 we moved to a large warehouse on Walnut Street, and moved again in 2009 to a bigger space on Race Ct. just north of the Denver Stockyards complex. With a staff of twenty we had become a small business.
- A Denver County plan to redevelop the Stock Yards has caused us to prepare for yet another move. In mid-2018 we will move into a new Denver facility near 56th and Pecos. Our new home will be a 24,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility for rug cleaning and restoration.
4/19- Reagan Masi- When Disaster Strikes
- Since 1947, Master Rug Cleaners has provided cleaning services for wall to wall carpet, upholstery, Persian and area rugs, and stone & tile. At our one-of-a-kind facility, we employ equipment and procedures that focus on both quality cleaning and preservation of your family treasures. With over 60 years of cleaning mastery, we are the best choice for Sonoma, Marin, and Napa County.
4/19- JW Terrill- rug plant safety
- I’ve been an art director, designer, and illustrator for more than 30 years. I received a BFA in Design / Illustration from the California College of Arts & Crafts (CCAC). Soon after, I moved to New York City, where I worked in a myriad of publishing industries including fashion, direct mail, film, music and crafts. Along the way, I won awards including The Society of Publication Designers, Art Director's Club, Art Director’s Creativity, and Communication Arts.
- Between jobs and coasts I was lucky enough to spend two years as an artist-in-residence, exploring surface design at the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina. Once back in the Bay Area, I continued my editorial art direction, then became an art director for Papyrus where I blended my love of surface design with art direction.
- Most recently I've developed a line of custom, handmade-to-order carpets and now enjoy sharing my years of experience teaching workshops on color and design.
- I am an ASID industry partner, have studied with Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, and continue to increase my knowledge of color through association with the Color Marketing Group.